Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Talyllyn Railway - Flower Train - August 13th 2013





Yesterday evening a friend and I took the Floral Train on the Talyllyn Railway from Tywyn to Abergynolwyn. This popular annual event which is organised in association with Tywyn Garden Club is an important and popular event on the club's calender. The members of the club had worked very hard in preparing for the event by making buttonholes for the passengers as well as decorating the train. We left Wharf Station, Neptune Road in Tywyn at 7.30pm enjoying the scenery of the Fathew Valley on the around an hour journey to Abergynolwyn.  A stop at Abergnolwyn of an hour with wonderful entertainment by Dyfi Male Voice Choir made this a very enjoyable evening. There were refreshments available and after the singing the raffle was drawn, before the train steamed home in the gathering dusk. It was soon dark but it was lovely to see the lights twinkling around the valley. We were back at the Wharf Station just before 10.30pm having had an evenings entertainment with a difference. 

Thanks to all those concerned with the success of this evening from the Talyllyn Railway and Tywyn Garden Club

The photos I have shared will I hope enable you to gain an idea of the camaraderie and atmosphere of the event. I also found a video from a couple of years ago of the choir rehearsing one of the songs they sang yesterday evening which I think you will agree gives you a good idea of the talent of this choir.













          Clicking on the individual photos will give you the opportunity to view them in a larger format.


A video of one of the weekly rehearsals of the Dyfi Male Voice Choir.
Video is courtesy ofgeology26

The following links may also be of interest if you are planning a visit to the Talyllyn Railway or are interested in learning more about this historic narrow gauge steam railway in the Welsh countryside.


Talyllyn Railway   Facebook Page - Talyllyn Railway  Talyllyn Railway - Wikipedia

All photos are my own taken in August 2013. 
 Copyright All rights reserved by LindyLouMac Photo Collection 
The full set of photos may also be viewed individually in my album entitled  



25 comments:

  1. Good evening Linda! A flower train . How lovely - something really different and I'm so pleased you had a good evening with your friend. The photos made me think I was right there with you. Love the girls in their Welsh national dress. I had a doll dressed like that when I was a little girl. All those complicated Welsh names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely evening, life is very different for me here, but I am learning to embrace these new experiences.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to say, there is nothing so special as a male Welsh choir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love this train... it is like the engine on the one i rode minus the flowers.. beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, there is something so atmospheric about riding a steam train.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely LOVE the choir!! They are magnificent and put a huge smile on my face. :-) What a gorgeous event to attend. If I were in Wales I would happily join you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The choir were very moving to listen to Krista, so pleased to be able to share with you on the other side of the world.

      Delete
  5. I am pleased you had such a pleasant entertaining evening. The flowers, the girls in the costumes all look wonderful. Love the choir, no better than a Welsh one!! Jackie in Surrey.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a lovely evening, a very different experience for me.

      Delete
  6. A lovely little train, I remember going on it once, although my trip wasn't as social as yours, I still enjoyed it. I'm glad you had such a lovely time. And the choir - !! fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, the train has not changed and the scenery is still as beautiful as ever. I think it was about thirty years since my last trip!

      Delete
  7. oh wow, what an amazing adventure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly different Laurie, I think as an artist you would have enjoyed the surroundings.

      Delete
  8. Hi Linda , well that is a different evening out with a friend , and a new adventure ,, as you say certainly takes lot of organizing , well done to all , they did well :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed an excellent effort on behalf of the gardening club, including my sister. :)

      Delete
  9. What a lovely thing to do and so different. The train, the flowers and the choir a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely combination and much appreciated by everyone that took the ride.

      Delete
  10. The flowers .... and the whole idea of this festival and the train ride.... are all amazing. The little girls in the national costume stole my heart! (I haven't listened to the video yet, because was afraid I'd forget to come back to let you know I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sallie I am so pleased that you enjoyed the post, hope you got the chance to listen to the choir.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had a lovely day. I am so glad to be linking up to you again Linda, and hope you are doing well. hugs across the ocean. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to be back Jill, but it is taking awhile for me to adjust to doing so again, small steps. :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the link Lindy. Looks very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pleasure, hope you will decide to follow this new blog. :)

      Delete
  13. Hello again Lindy
    Thanks for your link to your blog.
    Great train and beautiful flower girls.
    Not long ago we were in Vrads where we saw an old veteran
    Link: http://hbt.finus.dk/ # post704
    Take good care of yourself :) Hugs Hanne Bente

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Travel Tales and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate your support, which is a great encouragement to me and reading them is always a pleasure. All commenter's will receive a visit back from me and followers a follow back. I will respond to questions here but not reply to every individual comment due to time constraints, a problem we all have.